Our First $100 Could Be Your $100
This realization led us to design a way to give our first $100 away. After putting our heads together we came up with an idea to hold the first annual My University Money Scholarship Contest, just as many students are returning to school for the fall semester. For all of you out there who claim that there is never an opportunity to earn scholarship dollars if you’re not a genius, well here it is. The contest will have nothing to do with financial need (re: if you have student loans), and will be completely merit-based. To enter the Scholarship Contest all prospective contestants have to do is write a 500-1000 world blog-style article about their best tip for helping students in post-secondary education. The tip can be financially-motivated, but it can also center on general lifestyle tips for students, such as time management. Entries will also have to include two brief ideas that you would like to see written about on My University Money. The money will be delivered via paypal to the winner as judged by J.B. and myself. We have no way of confirming if you are actually a student or not, so we hope everyone will abide by an honour code and not enter the contest if they are not in fact a student.
1) Anyone may apply as long as they are a post-secondary student of any kind. It does not matter if it is a trade school, college diploma program, undergraduate degree, adult education, or a graduate course of study.
2) All applications must be submitted in Microsoft Word format and attached to an email sent to myuniversitymoney(at)gmail.com.
3) All applications must include a 500-1000 word article on the topic of: “Your Best Tip For Post-Secondary Students.”
4) All applicants must include 2 suggestions for articles they would like to see in the future on My University Money.
5) The following information must be included in your application (either in the email itself, or as a Word attachment): your full name, your paypal email address (if you don’t have one of these they are super easy to setup and you should get one for future uses anyway), where you go to school, what degree/diploma/certificate you are pursuing, and a few biographical sentences about yourself.
6) The article must be new and original. Please DO NOT try and submit anything you have published somewhere else (like on your blog for example).
7) The deadline to submit your entries is Monday, September 5th. The winner and runners-up will be announced Friday, September 9th.
- Creativeness in helping students (ie. We all know that skipping the morning Starbucks run will save money, come up with something better).
- Ability to fully and interestingly articulate your idea. Give us the information convincingly and entertain us with it (isn’t this what blogging is really all about?).
- Basic Grammar. You don’t have to be Shakespeare or Dickens, but we do have to understand what you’re saying!
- All the above rules are followed.
See Your Work Published
The top 3-5 entries we be displayed on our site in the weeks to come. We obviously reserve the right to edit any articles we receive for brevity purposes, and we also reserve the right to publish the articles in perpetuity. The good news is that we would be happy to run your full biographic paragraph with your article, and link to your blog if you have one. We want to give people the credit, we just don’t want to get sued!
Help Us Give Money Away
Please help us get the word out! We have a growing readership base, but we would like to extend this unique offer to as many people as possible. If you could post a link to our contest on your site, or let others know about it in anyway possible we would be much obliged. We realize that $100 isn’t going to pay off anyone’s student loans, but hey, it’s all we’ve got, and you could get it with about an hour’s work or so. If you don’t win the grand prize, it is a great opportunity to get some publicity for your blog, or achieve some exposure for a cause that you believe can greatly help students. Tell anyone you know that might be interested to apply. We look forward to reading all of your entries and suggestions. Both J.B. and myself are really excited about this contest, and we hope that by this time next year our finances will have improved to the point where we can offer not only a larger grand prize, but some secondary prizes as well. Please contact us if you have absolutely any questions or comments. We check our email everyday and will respond immediately, we promise it won’t be a waste of time. Stay tuned as we will be doing more giveaways and contests in the near future!